Friday, August 19, 2016

The Father Who Notices Little Things

Some time ago, I came across a book by Francis Schaeffer entitled “No Little People, No Little Places.” I was intrigued by the phrase, as it pointed to a powerful dimension of the value system of the Kingdom of God – that little things matter. We see it theoretically in the Scriptures, where we read of God as a Father who notices even when sparrows fall, and we are encouraged to translate that fact to how much more significant we are to Him than sparrows are.

However, there come points in our lives when the Father, through a variety of means, helps us with that translation, and the truth becomes personal and even life-changing. I had one of those experiences this week, and I want to share it with you, in the hope it might be encouraging to you as well.

My wife Marie and I were participating in a ministry time that was focused on prosperity in our souls, and how that prosperity of soul might affect financial matters in our experience. Steve DeSilva, who was leading the ministry time, directed me to close my eyes, and to ask the Holy Spirit to bring some past experience to my mind that may have had effect on how I view prosperity and wealth. Immediately, a remembered a time when I, at the age of about 7 or 8 years, had brought a little bouquet of flowers to my Mom for Mother’s Day. I had saved my allowance (25 cents a week back then!) and spent it on the little bunch of blossoms.

As I remembered my Mom’s response, the emotion of the decades-old memory welled up, and I felt the disappointment as she told me that my Dad had already gotten her flowers, and I shouldn’t spend the money, but should return the bouquet and get my money back. As I think about it from my adult perspective, she wasn’t being mean; she was actually not wanting me to spend money on her. But in the moment, through a child's limited perspective, I felt that my gift was not important.

As I shared the story, tears ran down my cheeks, and I realized that I had formed opinions about God in that moment that were not true. Steve asked me to look around the room in my memory, to see where God the Father was in the picture. I “saw” Him take my young face in His hands, smile, and say this: “I saw what you did, and it was precious to Me.”

Suddenly, I realized in a more deeply personal way that little things matter to God. A fifty-cent bouquet is nothing, but when given with a heart of love, it matters. God sees, and knows, and moves heaven and earth to make resources available to little people in little places who desire to express the giving heart that is native to the family of God.

Here’s my prayer for you today: Know that your Father in Heaven is watching, not to scold or rebuke, but to see and notice and pay attention to you, for you are His, and you are precious. The little stuff of your life matters, so may the Holy Spirit lock that truth in your heart, and give you peace and joy.

Gary Wiens

1 comment: