Thursday, July 6, 2017

Understanding Times and Seasons

I had a cool experience on a very hot day in Redding, California, a couple of weeks ago. Marie and I were there with some friends for the Kingdom Culture conference, the temperature was around 110 degrees, but the cool experience was this:

We went to see the Sundial Bridge, which is constructed over the Sacramento River through the middle of town. By sheer providence, we were there on June 21, right at noon. As we walked across the bridge, the shadow from the sundial tower was moving toward a point on the perimeter markings around the park area. I came across a point on the arc that informed me that the shadow would cross that point on June 21 at 12:30 PM. I realized that we were indeed right there at the right time to see the shadow touch that point. That hot day gave rise to a cool moment!

Yesterday, I was meditating on Acts 1, where the disciples are asking Jesus about the timing of His return and the establishment of the Kingdom of God on the earth. He said, “It is not for you to know the times (kronos – linear time) and the seasons (kairos – divine moments in time) that the Father has fixed by His own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you …” (Acts 1:7-8).

As I read those verses, something clicked in my mind. The timing of God’s activity is set by His own authority, just as the timing of the sundial’s shadow is a fixed reality. I can’t make it happen, and I can’t change it by any means. But, by being in the right place at the right time, I can experience and delight in His amazing activity.


By walking in the Spirit, obeying His voice through intimacy of relationship, we will find ourselves in the right place at the right time to see and experience all that He has for us, and the surprise will be delightful, powerful, and more than cool! Stay faithful, stay obedient, stay in intimate friendship with Jesus, and in the fullness of time the moment will happen, and the blessings of God will be poured out on you!

No comments:

Post a Comment